TV & Movies

David Letterman Makes Comeback on Late Show, Criticizes Cancellation

David Letterman made his much-anticipated return to the show he launched 33 years ago.

On Thursday, May 14, Letterman, 79, said goodbye to The Late Show, reminiscing with current host Stephen Colbert. Letterman started The Late Show in 1993 and retired in 2015, paving the way for Colbert, now 62, to take over the helm.

“I have every right to be a little upset, so I’ll express it here. You wouldn’t be in this theater if it weren’t for me, and Stephen wouldn’t be here if it weren’t for me,” Letterman noted as he returned to the Ed Sullivan Theater in New York City. “We renovated this theater, and then Stephen stepped in—look at this! It’s like the Bellagio [hotel]. You can take a man’s show, but you can’t take a man’s voice.”

Letterman then humorously addressed Colbert’s fellow late-night competitors, Jimmy Fallon and Jimmy Kimmel.

Related: Stephen Colbert Discusses ‘The Late Show’ Cancellation: What He’s Said

Former The Daily Show correspondent and fan-favorite late-night host Stephen Colbert surprised viewers in July 2025 by announcing CBS’s decision to cancel The Late Show With Stephen Colbert—and the entire late-night program—in May 2026. This unexpected decision ended a legendary late-night legacy begun by David […]

“You know what I’m really concerned about? What will happen to the Jimmys? Are they going to be okay?” he quipped.

Later in the episode, Letterman and Colbert ventured to the roof of the Ed Sullivan Theater to destroy CBS property ahead of The Late Show’s final week on air.

“I thought tonight would be a bit sad, given it’s the end of your run here, but this brings me true joy. We’re here for the wholesale destruction of CBS property,” Letterman stated before he and Colbert proceeded to toss Colbert’s desk chair and the blue sofa chairs used by guests from the rooftop.

Colbert humorously mentioned that CBS sent them a cake reading “The Late Show 1993-2026,” which they also tossed off the edge.

CBS announced the cancellation of The Late Show in July 2025, with Colbert’s final episode anticipated to air on Thursday, May 21.

The Late Show With Stephen Colbert will conclude its historic run in May 2026 at the end of the broadcast season. We consider Stephen Colbert irreplaceable and will retire the Late Show franchise at that point,” CBS stated. “We are proud that Stephen made CBS his home. He and the broadcast will be celebrated among the greats of late-night television.”

CBS explained that the decision was solely “financial” and not “related to the show’s performance, content, or other developments at Paramount.” (CBS’s parent company, Paramount, was purchased by Skydance Media in August 2025.)

In an interview with The New York Times earlier this May, Letterman disagreed with the assertion that the cancellation was due to financial factors.

Related: Stephen Colbert Names Star He Was ‘Wildly Attracted’ to Before Final Show

Throughout his journey as a late-night host, Stephen Colbert has encountered many guests—but he was taken aback by Michelle Williams’ beauty during their first meeting. During the Wednesday, May 13 episode of the “Strike Force Five” podcast, Colbert, 62, fondly reminisced about some of his past guests on The Late Show With Stephen […]

“He was let go because the individuals selling the network to Skydance said, ‘Oh no, there’s no problem with that guy. We’ll manage the show. We’re just including that in the deal. When will we close this deal?’” Letterman asserted.

He added, “Let me be clear—they’re lying. To add one other thing… they are deceitful weasels.”

In response, CBS informed the Times that the cancellation of the show was “unequivocally a financial decision.”