TV & Movies

Nicole Curtis Celebrates Return of Rehab Addict Amid Racial Slur Controversy

Nicole Curtis was publicly celebrating the return of Rehab Addict after it was taken off the air indefinitely — only for the show to be canceled amid her racial slur controversy.

Curtis, 49, took to Instagram on Saturday, February 7, to announce the premiere date of the remaining season 9 episodes, stating, “Straight from Detroit — the new episodes drop Wednesday … was told now or never — so you get them now.”

She added: “And can you do me a huge show of support by sharing this? Sending it to friends, tag a friend, a stranger ❤️.”

While some fans expressed their excitement, others questioned the decision to air the new episodes in the afternoon instead of the usual evening slot. Curtis agreed with the confusion.

One comment asked, “Why at 11 AM CST and not at night?” Curtis responded, “Brilliant question to which I’ve received no answer that makes sense to me 😂.”

Another user remarked, “Probably should have just let them air last summer.” Curtis agreed, replying, “I absolutely said the same thing.”

On Wednesday, February 11, viewers tuned in to watch the show’s return, only to discover it had been pulled from the air. That same day, news emerged that RadarOnline had published footage of Curtis using the n-word during a renovation shoot for the series. This moment was captured on camera but did not air during the original episode’s premiere in June 2025.

“HGTV was recently made aware of an offensive racial comment made during the filming of Rehab Addict. This language is hurtful and disappointing to our viewers, partners, and employees — it doesn’t align with the values of HGTV,” the network stated to Us Weekly on Wednesday. “Accordingly, we have removed the series from all HGTV platforms. We remain dedicated to fostering a culture of respect and inclusion across our content and in our workplace.”

Warner Bros. Discovery eventually removed the rest of the planned new episodes from HGTV’s schedule and took down previous episodes from HBO Max and Discovery+. Curtis broke her silence amid the fallout.

“There’s more to this, but my family comes first, and I need to be a mom right now more than anything else,” she shared via Instagram Stories. “I will remain transparent and honest with you. TMZ called me as I had just turned my phone on after being at school – I said this briefly – but there is more …”

Curtis also shared a text exchange with a TMZ reporter, in which she provided a longer statement, saying, “Regarding HGTV, I’m grateful for the 15-year journey we’ve shared. It’s been a meaningful chapter, but my focus isn’t on my career. My focus right now is on my relationships and my community – the people who truly know my character and where my heart is.”

She further clarified: “I want to be clear: the word in question is wrong and not part of my vocabulary, and never has been, and I apologize to everyone. As discussed, I’m a mom and I was doing mom things all day and unplugged. I realize my shows were airing, but my family is my priority, and I’m just catching up to all this now.”

Before the controversy, Rehab Addict‘s latest season premiered in June 2025 but only aired two episodes. My Lottery Dream Home later took its place, something Curtis addressed at the time.

“Thank you to the powers that be at HGTV for being receptive to our idea. … Without a doubt, I am truly beyond happy with this decision as I just spent the day with a phone that was dead and had no worries about it,” Curtis continued. “They are airing Lottery Dream Home instead of mine. Fun fact: [Lottery Dream Home host] David Bromstad was my pregnancy beach buddy while we were filming and living next to each other in Gulf Shores, Alabama, for Beach Flip. … So, don’t spread rumors that he replaced me — I chose it.”

Curtis continued to provide updates in the months following Rehab Addict‘s last airing, amidst the cancellation of Battle on the Beach, Farmhouse Fixer, Married to Real Estate, Bargain Block, and Izzy Does It on HGTV.