
Tyler Perry Shares Reasons Behind Financially Distancing Himself from Family: “I’m Not a ‘Welfare’ Provider”
Tyler Perry shared his decision to cut off financial support for his family, including firing his aunt from her job.
In a Sunday, July 20, episode of the “Den of Kings” YouTube series, Perry, 55, discussed the challenges of hiring family members with host Kirk Franklin and guests Derrick Hayes and Jeezy.
“[My aunt] told me she wanted a job and often called for money. I agreed to help her financially,” Perry recalled. “But then I thought, ‘I want to support you in building something, not just giving you money. So, let me offer you a job.’”
Perry noted that his aunt failed to show up for work.
“So I said, ‘OK, then you have to go,’” he explained. “You want financial support but aren’t willing to work for it. That doesn’t work for me.”
This boundary-setting wasn’t limited to his aunt; Perry emphasized the importance of a strong work ethic with his 10-year-old son, Aman.
“There are specific things he desires,” he stated. “He must complete chores and earn them. I don’t believe in giving out things that could hinder us in the long run. That’s the worst approach.”
Perry also discussed laying down rules with his family following his mother’s passing in 2009. He recalled sending letters to his relatives, informing them to find jobs within 60 days as he intended to stop their financial support. He confirmed that “they all got jobs” after he established his stance.
Perry achieved fame by writing, starring in, directing, and producing his own works. His most renowned character is Mabel “Madea” Simmons, yet he has also broadened his TV and film reach with enduring projects on OWN and BET.
Recently, Perry gained attention when Derek Dixon accused him of sexual assault and harassment in a $260 million lawsuit. Us Weekly confirmed that Dixon filed the lawsuit against Perry and Tyler Perry Studios in Los Angeles in June. The actor, who appeared in Perry’s BET series The Oval since 2021, is pursuing claims of quid pro quo sexual harassment, sexual battery, sexual assault, intentional infliction of emotional distress, and retaliation, which Perry has denied.
“This is someone who got close to Tyler Perry seemingly to orchestrate a scam,” shared Perry’s attorney, Matthew Boyd, in a statement. “Tyler will not be shaken down, and we are confident these unfounded harassment claims will not succeed.”
Dixon, on the other hand, spoke about the lawsuit earlier this month.
“I couldn’t let him get away with this,” Dixon told The Hollywood Reporter in his first interview since the allegations became public. “Everyone deserves to go to work and do their job without their boss attempting to exploit them.”
Dixon stated that his “goal” with the lawsuit is to “ensure that the next generation of actors and creatives don’t have to choose between their aspirations and their dignity.”